Most students will confirm that at some point in their college lives they have written research papers, but it wasn’t that easy to accomplish the task. Most students also turn to academic paper writing services to help them out. To make it easy to write that history research paper, along with research paper experts from CustomWritings we have elaborated the 10 steps you need to follow to make work easier.
Below are the 10 steps you need to stick to every time you have to write a research paper. We bet after you have read them and practiced, you will have the best ideas for writing research papers.
What Are the 10 Steps to Writing a History Research Paper?
The steps below will be vital in writing those research papers in the future!
- Familiarize yourself with the requirements. Before you start writing that essay, you need to understand what the instructions require you to do. It may look obvious, but it is very necessary to stick to what your lecturer asked for in the history research paper. Skipping this step will only lead you to get lower marks for your essay, despite all the efforts you may put into writing. Some good time should be spent deliberating over the assignment; for instance, be keen to identify what the essay demands and highlight them. If you do all the above, and you still don’t get the clue, just ask your college classmates or your lecturer for further clarifications.
- Choose a good topic. In this step you need to be fully aware of what your lecturer has asked to be included in the history paper, thus, just pick a good topic and an interesting one. Don’t move out of the context too much; it is vital to write what you are passionate about. One way you can get a good topic is by choosing to be controversial in your topic and then use historical facts to defend it from different positions. Sticking to the research paper’s instructions will also help a lot in drafting that topic. Additionally, go for topics that can help you learn new historical facts that you didn’t know in the first place.
- Embark on researching historical facts. Get those historical facts you need to include in your history research paper by doing in-depth research. You can have the best research for the paper by using different methods, however, you need to be keen and do it at the best speed to beat the paper’s deadline. Similarly, you can skim, find reliable research resources, and pay attention to key information related to your history research paper and topic as well. For instance, you can rely on Wikipedia, which has vast historical content. However, remember that you can never cite Wikipedia.com as one of the main sources in your history research paper. More importantly, pay attention to relevant information from articles that have some content on what you are researching.
- Get organized. After you have obtained adequate information to write your history research paper, now you need to organize your research. You can use different methods to plan your research paper depending on the paper’s assignment, or the required bibliography you have to stick to in writing the entire paper. Your lecturer may need you to provide a bibliography at the end of the paper, thus, you need to refer to step 1 and create a bibliography that reflects the instructions given. Similarly, as you research highlight or bookmark resources on your laptop.
- Formulate a thesis. At this point all should be clear to you, that is, a clear understanding of what you need to write, a good topic that relates to the history research paper, you have researched and organized all. With all that, you are now ready to form a thesis. Create your own opinion, argument, or assertion since the paper will need a thesis. A thesis is a short statement that a writer uses to present to the readers to explain or prove something. It is easier to write a thesis by posing a question. For instance, “what is my paper about?”, then, answer the same question, “my history paper explains the reasons why the American isolationist happened after World War I”. Don’t end your thesis statement after the answer, because the thesis needs to be definitive. Therefore, make it look something like, “my history paper explains the reasons why the American isolationist happened after World War I, and the impact it had on America and other countries in the world.
- Create an outline. The history research paper’s instructions should guide your overall outline, and you need to stick to the style your lecturer asked for. Follow all the examples, guidelines, or requirements the lecturer asks for in your paper. It is all about giving your paper a structure and avoids making it look more formulaic. For instance, use several paragraphs in the paper. A good outline starts with an introduction, a body with several sections, and ends with a conclusion that summarizes the key points.
- Now write. You may feel like you should have started with this point, but all the above steps are vital to come up with the best history research paper. All the steps give you the best ideas to write a strong, clear, and interesting paper. You don’t need to mind the grammar at this point, just write! Since you will come back and proofread all once you are done writing. Remember to cite your sources as you write if you choose to quote another author’s word-for-word.
- Edit the paper. Once you have written all the content you had researched and that sits right as per your history research paper, it is time to edit every part of the paper. Fix those grammatical errors since you have some to fix and make your paper look perfect as possible. Make some points clearer and easy to understand, ensure that you have followed all the instructions, and check the word count. After the changes, read the entire work again.
- Edit the grammar. Don’t stress yourself manually editing the paper, because there are several online grammar-editing tools and resources you can use. One of the best grammar editing tools is Grammarly.
- Give the paper a final read. Take some time off your paper then come back to it, then re-read your paper thoroughly. It may be easy if you print it and read the hard copy to identify those mistakes you missed on your laptop. Once done, you can now submit the paper.
There you have it! All the above-mentioned steps will help you write the perfect history research paper, just stick to them, and you will have the best time handling those papers!
Those long hours you used to spend working on a research paper without an idea of what to write in the document will be a thing of the past. After following guidelines on how to motivate yourself to write a research paper, writing academic papers will be a fun thing to do.