My name is Stephanie Craig. In 1990, at the age of six, I read my first American Girl Dolls book (it was Meet Felicity). In a rose-pink bedroom in Oklahoma, I learned about what life was like in Colonial Virginia. I was hooked.
Since then, my love of history has been my favorite hobby, leading me to travel all over the world to experience the places and peoples I have read about. I seek out important architecture, artworks, UNESCO World Heritage sites, and monuments-the places that bring history to life.
Through my travels, I have gone from history lover to amateur historian, sharing photographs and stories from far-away places.
To date, I have visited 130 UNESCO World heritage sites spread across 67 countries and 5 continents. However, there are many, many more visits to come.
Some of my favorite historic sites:
- Standing on top of the city walls in Istanbul
- Seeing history and tradition come alive at the World Nomad Games in Kyrgyzstan
- Visiting the battlefield of Gettysburg
- Touring the White House twice and going to Inauguration
- Seeing the Soviet break-away republic Transnistria
- Touring Chernobyl and seeing what Chernobyl is like Today
- Being haunted by the dual terror regimes of the Nazis and the Communists in the Terror House in Budapest
- Crying in the pilgrim’s office while getting my Compostela after finishing the last part of the Camino de Santiago.
- Seeing the layers of civilizations atop the Citadel in Amman, Jordan
- Being given the keys to a 14th century chapel in the Troodos Mountains in Cyprus
- Being dressed by a nun who thought I was insufficiently modest in rural Moldova’s Rudi Monastery
Since starting this site, I’ve embarked on a few other online adventures. I am the co-author of the website Sofia Adventures, a Balkan travel blog. After living in Eastern Europe for four years, our family moved back to Oklahoma, and I document our adventures in Oklahoma and nearby over on Oklahoma Wonders.
Most recently my fiance and I started The Africa Cookbook to preserve and share his African cuisine with our family.
I know I have many more adventures to come!