Spending two weeks in Vienna felt like a dream. I got to go to the Vienna Opera, check out the amazing Christmas Markets, and take some fabulous day trips to Salzburg and Bratislava.
My Favorite Travel Booking Sites for 2022
These are my favorite companies that I use on my own travels.
Find cheap flights with CheapOair.
Find the best deals on hotels & vacation rentals on Booking.com.
For road trips and ground transportation, rent a car through Discover Cars.
Find information and cruise reviews on Cruise Critic.
For packing and travel essentials order via Amazon.
Get reliable travel insurance through World Nomads.
Store your luggage safely with Radical Storage.
My Day in Bratislava in Pictures
A (teeny-tiny) bit of context: Bratislava and Vienna are only about 80 km (50 mi) apart. They have a shared history as part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and thus they have very similar architecture. After World War II, Slovakia ended up behind the Iron Curtain, while Austria narrowly escaped.
Tips & Transportation
- I took the train from Central Station in Vienna to Bratislava. It took about an hour, cost about 16 euros round trip ($17.28), and was crazy easy.
- When I got to the train in Bratislava, I took the tram for .9 euros (about $1), to Old Town.
- While there, I walked around on foot. I had been warned not to take a taxi, but I don’t know if they’re as bad as people said.
- I joined a free walking tour in the afternoon. I happened to be in the square at the right time.
- Neither the online train times nor the online tour times matched the reality during my actual visit. Don’t know if I was reading things wrong or if the websites were inaccurate. Both ended up being wrong in my favor though, so maybe it was magic?
- I went to two restaurants. The one right outside the Old Town was about half the cost of the one on the main square. Natch.
- One day was definitely not enough! I’m looking forward to getting back to Slovakia and exploring the countryside.
- Bratislava City Guides
- Podcast Episode: Choosing Slovakia
- The World In Between’s dispatches from Slovakia
My Snapchat Story from My Visit
If we’re not connected on Snapchat, hit me up. I’m @gothreetwenty4.
Whirlwind travel, while not ideal, can still be inspiring and rewarding. I’m so glad I got to see Slovakia, even if I didn’t get to see everything I’d like. I’d go back in a heartbeat.