Spending two weeks in Vienna felt like a dream. I got to go to the Vienna Opera, check out the amazing Christmas Markets, and take some fabulous day trips to Salzburg and Bratislava.
Essential Travel Resources for 2021 & 2022
These are my favorite companies that I use on my travels.
Find the best deals on hotels & vacation rentals on Booking.com.
For road trips and ground transportation, rent a car through Discover Cars.
Find the best city tours, day tours, bus tours, & skip-the-line tickets on GetYourGuide.
For packing and travel essentials order via Amazon.
Get reliable travel insurance through World Nomads.
My Day in Bratislava in Pictures
A (teeny-tiny) bit of context: Bratislava and Vienna are only about 80 km (50 mi) apart. They have a shared history as part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and thus they have very similar architecture. After World War II, Slovakia ended up behind the Iron Curtain, while Austria narrowly escaped.
Tips & Transportation
- I took the train from Central Station in Vienna to Bratislava. It took about an hour, cost about 16 euros round trip ($17.28), and was crazy easy.
- When I got to the train in Bratislava, I took the tram for .9 euros (about $1), to Old Town.
- While there, I walked around on foot. I had been warned not to take a taxi, but I don’t know if they’re as bad as people said.
- I joined a free walking tour in the afternoon. I happened to be in the square at the right time.
- Neither the online train times nor the online tour times matched the reality during my actual visit. Don’t know if I was reading things wrong or if the websites were inaccurate. Both ended up being wrong in my favor though, so maybe it was magic?
- I went to two restaurants. The one right outside the Old Town was about half the cost of the one on the main square. Natch.
- One day was definitely not enough! I’m looking forward to getting back to Slovakia and exploring the countryside.
- Bratislava City Guides
- Podcast Episode: Choosing Slovakia
- The World In Between’s dispatches from Slovakia
My Snapchat Story from My Visit
If we’re not connected on Snapchat, hit me up. I’m @gothreetwenty4.
Whirlwind travel, while not ideal, can still be inspiring and rewarding. I’m so glad I got to see Slovakia, even if I didn’t get to see everything I’d like. I’d go back in a heartbeat.