What I Got Up To
I spent the first part of the month wrapping up my time in Sofia, Bulgaria, which I was very sad to leave. Then moved onto two weeks of classical music and decadent desserts in Austria before heading back to the USA to spend the holidays with my family in Oklahoma City.
Pic of the Month
My most popular pic on Instgram is this one of St. Stephan’s Cathedral in Vienna.
My most popular pic on Facebook was this one of Schoenbrunn Palace:
- Going to the Vienna State Opera
- Taking a day trip to Bratislava
- Enjoying the Vienna Coffeehouse Scene
- Escaping the Vienna winter in art museums and shops
- Going on a hike in Martin Nature Park with my brother
- Visiting the real Maria Von Trapp’s convent in Salzberg
View this post on Instagram
How do you solve a problem like Maria? Shot Tuesday at Stift Nonnberg, the abbey where the real Maria von Trapp lived before marrying Georg von Trapp. You think she did any of her singing under this gorgeous tree? A few of the movie scenes of the Sound of Music were shot here. Not to be too macabre, but these graves are beautiful, and most of these nuns were Maria's contemporaries.
- Hanging out with old friends on New Year’s Eve
- So much guacamole.
Only one thing really sticks out as negative this month. I got incredibly sick starting the day after Christmas and I’m still dealing with it today. Not sure yet what it is – I should get labs back tomorrow – thought it was the stomach flu but we’re going on day 11. I’ve been sidelined almost my whole time in Oklahoma. 100% Ugh. I missed seeing one side of my family, meeting my three year-old cousin that lives in California, can’t really enjoy any of my favorite foods, I’ve been sleeping all day, throwing up all day, and I’m so lethargic I have to lie down flat to type. When I have made it out of the house, I’ve been twice as bad the next day. I can’t wait for this to be over with.
My most popular post in December was 5 Terrible Pieces of Travel Advice You Should Forget Immediately
Other December Posts:
- My Favorite Travel Experiences of 2016
- 30 Weird Travel Facts About Me and a $50 Amazon Giveaway to Celebrate My 100th Post!
- All the Pretty Buildings: A Day in Bratislava, Slovakia
- 6 Important Travel Skills I Want to Focus on in 2017
- UNESCO Sites: Daphni Monastery & Schoenbrunn Palace
Travels with Lucy
Neither I nor Lucy escaped December in good health. When we got back to Oklahoma, we both unraveled. Somehow Lucy hurt her front paw, and she spent a week hopping on three legs. It would have been sad if it wasn’t so adorable. Unlike me though, she’s back to being one-hundred percent.
December by the Numbers
- Walking Hours: 34.83
- Mexican Restaurants: 6
- Airports: 5
- Fracking Earthquakes in Oklahoma: 4
- Countries: 4
- Unplanned American Shopping Sprees: 3
- Beds: 3
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: 3
- Rick Steves’ Audio Walking Tours Completed: 3
- Houses of Worship Visited: 3
- Continents: 2
- Downton Abbey Seasons Marathoned on Amazon Prime: 2
- Black Nail Polish
- Taking My Temperature Hourly and Not Dying
- Werther’s Original Hard Candies
- The Sound of Music Soundtrack (there’s a sad sort of clanging…)
- Hitting Sonic Happy Hour
- Winter Accessories
- The new Tove Lo album (half guilty pleasure, half completely earnestly WTF when did I become someone who could love a Tove Lo album?!?)
I spent $2566 in December.
|Food (restaurants & groceries)||$685|
|Ground Transportation (taxis, uber, etc)||$109|
|Health (doctors visits, my prescriptions)||$224|
|Personal (beauty supplies, gifts, personal items)||$213|
|Pets (vet fees, pet fees, pet paperwork)||$143|
|International Transportation (flights and international trains)||$244|
My Favorite Pic
My favorite pic this month was this one of the Austrian Lake District:
Finishing my visit to Oklahoma City, then heading to a crazy three-week East-Coast-a-Thon (Philadelphia, Charlotte, Atlanta, & NYC). Then at the end of the month I head back to Europe, starting with three days in Amsterdam.
You can check out earlier month’s adventure and expenses here.