This post is my 250th blog post! For my 100th blog post, I shared weird travel facts about me. So to celebrate this milestone, I’m sharing my giant collection of inspirational travel quotes that I’ve saved over the years. So whether you’re looking for the best travel quotes for Instagram captions, inspirational cards for friends and family, or just to save for yourself, here are over 250 of my favorite travel quotes of all time.
Can’t Read Now? Pin these Travel Quotes for Later!
Short Travel Quotes
- To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
2. The ideal is to feel at home anywhere, everywhere.
3. You lose sight of things and when you travel, everything balances out.
4. Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.
5. Traveling tends to magnify all human emotions.
6. Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
7. Travel far enough, you meet yourself.
Inspirational Travel Quotes
8. For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
9. I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.
10. I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.
11. Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.
12. To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.
13. Travel is like a giant blank canvas, and the painting on the canvas is only limited by one’s imagination.
14. I reject the idea that we have to pay bills and die…Anyone can travel, you just have to want it to work so badly that it is your whole life.
Famous Travel Quotes
15. Traveling it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.
16. Not all those who wander are lost.
17. Take only memories, leave only footprints.
18. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
19. I haven’t been everywhere but it’s on my list.
20. Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.
21. I don’t know where I am going but I’m on my way.
Motivational Travel Quotes
23. One of the great things about travel is you find out how many good, kind people there are.
24. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
25. Now more than ever do I realize that I will never be content with a sedentary life, that I will always be haunted by thoughts of a sun-drenched elsewhere.
26. What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
Quotes on How to Be a Good Traveler
27. Whenever you go on a trip to visit foreign lands or distant places, remember that they are all someone’s home and backyard.
28. Travel at its truest is thus an ironic experience and the best travelers… seem to be those able to hold two or three inconsistent ideas in their minds at the same time, or able to regard themselves as at once serious persons and clowns.
29. You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.
30. Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.
31. It is better to travel well than to arrive.
32. Unsustainable travel is scary.
33. A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.
34. When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.
35. Traveling responsibly is about compassion, and this includes keeping our privilege in check in situations where it’s so easy to default to judgment or condescension.
36. He who has seen one cathedral ten times has seen something; he who has seen ten cathedrals once has seen but little, and he who has spent half an hour in each of a hundred cathedrals has seen nothing at all.
Travel and Food Quotes
37. If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home.
38. Cooking is all about people. Food is maybe the only universal thing that really has the power to bring everyone together. No matter what culture, everywhere around the world, people get together to eat.
39. I am not a great book, I am not a great artist, but I love art and I love food, so I am the perfect traveller.
Quotes about Travel and Life and Travel Life Quotes
40. To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, to gain all while you give. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live.
41. The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.
42. Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.
43. To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
44. Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.
45. We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.
Quotes about Coming Home after Travel
46. No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.
47. The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is, at last, to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.
48. All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.
49. A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.
50. When overseas you learn more about your own country than you do the place you’re visiting.
51. The constant movement started to grind down on my body and mind, and I realized by the end that I longed for the comfort and normalcy of home.
52. It is a strange thing to come home. While yet on the journey, you cannot at all realize how strange it will be.
53. An involuntary return to the point of departure is, without doubt, the most disturbing of all journeys.
54. I travel around the world in a way that tries to open my mind and give me empathy and inspire me to come home and make this world a better place.
Travel Memories Quotes
55. It is not the destination where you end up but the mishaps and memories you create along the way!
56. Let your memory be your travel bag.
57. Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.
58. Most of my treasured memories of travel are recollections of sitting.
Robert Thomas Allen
59. Be careful whom you make memories with. Those things can last a lifetime.
Quotes about How Travel Changes You
60. Traveling outgrows its motives. It soon proves sufficient in itself. You think you are making a trip, but soon it is making you or unmaking you.
61. Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.
62. The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
63. If you let it, travel will trample your assumptions, unceremoniously throwing them out the door before opening your eyes to the complexity of people and cultures.
64. Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.
65. To travel is to take a journey into yourself.
66. Travel can be one of the most rewarding forms of introspection.
67. Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.
68. The use of traveling is to regulate imagination with reality, and instead of thinking of how things may be, see them as they are.
69. One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.
70. Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.
71. Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse.
72. A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.